One of the worrying outcomes of today’s lifestyle is white hair. Early greying can reduce one’s confidence, especially being a nightmare for women. White and gray hair occurs due to the loss of pigment.
Causes of White Hair
Hair growth takes place when the old cells are removed by the hair follicles due to the development of new cells. It takes place in three stages.
- The first stage is growth (anagen)
- The second stage is cessation (catagen)
- The final stage is rest (telogen).
During the final stage, the hair falls, and a new strand grows. The presence of pigment gives it the black color. With age, there is a reduction in the amount of pigment from each strand of hair that is why the hair turns gray and ultimately white.
Reasons Of Developing White Hair
- Melanin deficiency: Deficiency of melanin is the primary cause, and its production depends upon the protein supplements and nutrition. Due to lack of these nutrients, melanin falls below acceptable levels.
- Genetics: It is a common factor to determine the age for losing hair pigment. Some have white hair before 20 years, and others can have after thirty.
- Stress: Due to high intake of junk food and alcohol coupled with a hectic schedule, premature graying is observed.
- Hormones: It plays a vital role in hair pigmentation. Imbalance in the hormones causes hair to turn white.
- Chemicals: Using chemical based products like hair dyes, shampoos, soaps, hair conditioner, etc. causes white hair. It can also cause due to allergic infections.
- Medical conditions: Certain medical conditions like vitamin B12 deficiency or problems related to pituitary glands and thyroid can cause loss of pigment in hair.
Top 12 Effective Home Remedies for Reducing White Hair
1. Amla Powder or Oil
Indian gooseberry is rich in vitamin C which acts as a hair tonic and has anti-aging as well as anti-oxidant properties. It helps in revitalizing the pigments present in the hair follicles and gives the hair a lustrous shine and repairs the damaged hair.
- Boil three to four dry berries with a cup of coconut oil for ten minutes to make an oil solution.
- Store the oil in a jar.
- Take two tablespoons of oil and massage thoroughly into the scalp.
- Massage for fifteen minutes and leave it for half an hour. One can also leave it overnight.
- Wash the hair with chemical free shampoo and complete the process with a conditioner.
- Do it two to four times in a week.
- One can also soak dry amla in water at night and rinse the hair with amla water in the next morning.
- Make a smoothie by mixing dry gooseberry powder with almond oil and lemon and apply it regularly on the scalp.
2. Black Tea
The antioxidants present in the black tea restrict the growth of white hair and helps to darken the hair color.
- Add two tablespoon of black tea in a cup of water and boil it for twenty minutes.
- Let the brew to cool and after straining the liquid apply on the scalp.
- Massage for few minutes and keep it for one hour.
- Wash the hair with chemical free shampoo and complete it with a conditioner.
- Do it two to three times in a week.
3. Curry leaves
It helps in restoring the melanin pigment present in hair follicles.
- Boil some curry leaves by adding three tablespoons of coconut oil and make an oil solution.
- Cool the oil and then strain it.
- Massage the oil thoroughly for fifteen minutes on the scalp.
- Leave the oil for another thirty minutes.
- Wash the hair with chemical free shampoo and then apply a conditioner.
- Do this two to three times in a week.
4. Lime juice & coconut oil
Lemon is rich in mineral phosphorus, vitamins C and B which are beneficial for maintaining the pigment cells present in hair follicles.
- Mix two tablespoon of coconut oil with two tablespoons of lemon juice and heat for a few seconds.
- Massage the solution thoroughly on the scalp for some time.
- Leave it for half an hour and later wash the hair with chemical free shampoo
- Apply a conditioner later and follow the process twice every week.
5. Mustard oil with Castor oil
Mustard oil is rich in minerals that help in maintaining the color and the health of the hair.
- Mix 2 tablespoon of mustard oil with a tablespoon of castor oil and heat for some time.
- Massage the warm oil on the scalp thoroughly for fifteen minutes and keep it for extra thirty minutes.
- Wash the hair with chemical free shampoo and lastly apply a conditioner.
- Do it two to three times in a week, and it will nourish the hair follicles and prevent graying.
6. Fenugreek seeds
It is rich in lysine, vitamin C, potassium and iron which helps to get rid of the dry scalp as well as prevents premature graying.
- Soak two tablespoons of fenugreek seeds in one-fourth cup of water and keep it overnight.
- Next morning grind the seeds with water to make a smooth paste.
- Apply the paste on the scalp and keep it for an hour.
- Lastly, wash the hair with a chemical-free shampoo and apply a conditioner.
- Do this once or twice a week.
7. Onion Juice
There is scientific evidence that onion juice helps to reverse graying of hair and improve the hair texture.
- Chop a medium sized onion and blend it with a tablespoon of olive oil.
- Extract the juice from the pulp with the help of cheesecloth.
- Massage the juice on the scalp for ten minutes.
- Leave it for another forty minutes.
- Rinse the hair with chemical free shampoo and conditioner.
Use pure henna powder to add reddish tones in the hair to cover up the appearance of white hair.
- Brew one tablespoon of coffee in a cup of boiling water.
- Pour the brew slowly into the henna powder and stir continuously to avoid lumps.
- Massage the scalp with this mixture and leave for three to four hours.
- Rinse the hair with a chemical-free shampoo and lukewarm water.
- Repeat the process once for every three weeks.
9. Sage leaves
The leaves act as a natural color preservative that prevents the hair from graying.
- Boil a bunch of sage leaves in one cup of water and brew it.
- After it cools down, put the concoction in a spray bottle.
- Spritz the hair till it gets saturated with the mixture.
- Keep it for two hours and wash the hair with a mild shampoo and apply conditioner.
- Do it twice or thrice in a week.
10. Ridge Gourd
It revitalizes the roots and helps in restoring the natural pigment of the hair.
- Soak half a cup of dry and chopped ridge gourd in one bowl of coconut oil.
- Keep it in an air-tight jar for four days.
- Later heat the mix in 2 tablespoons of coconut oil.
- Massage the oil on the scalp thoroughly for fifteen minutes and leave it for extra thirty minutes.
- Rinse the hair with a mild shampoo and complete with a conditioner. Apply this twice or thrice a week.
11. Sesame seed oil
Coconut oil is rich in fatty acids which help to condition the hair. Upon combining with sesame seed oil, it promotes melanocyte activity and assists in pigmentation of every single strand.
- Mix two tablespoon of coconut oil with two tablespoons of sesame seed oil and heat the mixture.
- Massage the scalp with this mixture for fifteen minutes and cover the hair with a warm towel and leave it for thirty minutes.
- Rinse the hair with a mild shampoo and follow it by applying a conditioner.
- Do it for two to three times in a week.
12. Hibiscus Flower and Amla
- Add three tablespoon of amla powder and three tablespoons of crushed hibiscus flowers and leaves in one-fourth cup of water.
- Blend the mixture to get a smooth paste and apply the mix to the scalp. Leave it for an hour.
- Wash the hair with a mild shampoo and complete with a conditioner.
- Do it two times in a week.
The above process helps in nourishing the hair follicles thereby boosting hair growth. It also prevents premature graying and removes dry scalp.