Pertussis or whooping cough is a bacterial infection that leads to unmanageable coughing spells with difficulty in breathing. It can affect adults and infants, but it is dangerous for children as they are unable to manage the symptoms.
Bordetella Pertussis bacteria causes whooping cough and are the primary causes in adults and infants. When the cough droplets are dispersed by the infected person and transferred to the non-infected individual or child, it can also lead to a cough to the latter.
1. Effective Home Remedies for a Whooping Cough
Essential Oils of Peppermint Oil & Eucalyptus Oil
Peppermint oil is beneficial for its antibacterial and decongesting properties.
- Mix 1 to 2 drops of peppermint oil with a tablespoon of coconut or olive oil.
- Apply the mix on your back and chest.
- One can also add a drop of peppermint oil in hot water and inhale the steam.
- Do the above steps twice a day.
- Take 1 to 2 drop of eucalyptus oil with one tablespoon of olive or coconut oil.
- Apply the mix to the chest and back.
- One can mix a drop of oil in hot water for inhaling the steam. Perform the above steps twice a day.
2. Vitamin C
Vitamin C is helpful to treat whooping cough. Up to 6 months aged babies consume Vitamin C through breast milk. Children more than six months can increase the intake of Vitamin C through their diet. Adults need 70 to 90 mg of vitamin C every day while infants need 40 mg daily. It is advisable to always take vitamin C through natural foods.
3. Onion Juice
Onions contain vitamin C and phytochemicals. The antibacterial property helps to improve the immune system which helps to reduce whooping cough.
- Peel and cut a medium-sized onion into small pieces.
- Mash them and add honey. Keep it for a night.
- Consume a teaspoon of this paste from next day at regular intervals throughout the day.
It has an antibacterial property which helps in combating the bacteria. Smash 3 to 4 cloves of garlic and extract the juice. For flavor add honey and consume twice or thrice a day.
Curcumin compound present in turmeric is highly beneficial. Add one teaspoon of turmeric in a glass of hot milk. Stir well and drink twice a day.
It is a natural expectorant and contains gingerol compound. Mince 1 to 2 inches of ginger to make a paste. Extract the juice and for flavor add honey. Consume it twice a day.
7. Elderberry syrup
The syrup is extracted from a flowering plant, and it boosts the immune system while protecting against cold and cough. Add one tablespoon of elderberry syrup with any fruit juice or warm water. Consume it thrice a day and continue for a week.
8. Green tea
The antioxidant and antiviral properties treat numerous infections and bacteria.
- Steep one teaspoon of green tea leaves in a cup of hot water for 10 minutes.
- Add honey for flavor and drink before it becomes cold.
- Have it three times a day.
The salt content helps to remove phlegm and provides relief from a cough.
- Add 1 to 2 teaspoons of salt in a cup of hot water.
- Gargle with warm water on a daily basis.
Place a humidifier in the room and add a few drops of essential oil to it. It keeps the room moist and reduces the intensity and severity of a cough.
It is a natural expectorant having an antibacterial property which is helpful in curing whooping cough.
- Mix 4 to 5 drops of oregano oil with one tablespoon of coconut oil.
- Rub the mix on the chest and back.
- One can also add 4 to 5 drops of oregano oil to hot water and inhale the steam or drink oregano tea.
- Do the above steps once or twice a day.
Honey has antiseptic and antibacterial properties which ease the symptoms related to a cough.
- Add one tablespoon of organic honey in a cup of warm water and stir well.
- Consume it two to three times a day on a daily basis.
It is a source of vitamin C which makes an effective weapon to combat a whooping cough.
- Squeeze half a lemon into a glass of water and add honey for flavor.
- Consume two to three times a day on a daily basis.
It contains glycyrrhizic acid which has immune boosting property. It also aids in healing the tissues damaged by continuous coughing.
- Add one teaspoon of licorice root powder in a cup of hot water for 10 minutes.
- Strain and consume the tea before it becomes cold. One can also add honey for flavor.
- Have it twice or thrice a day.
The polyphenols present in the almonds have an antibacterial property that is very effective.
- Soak 6 to 7 almonds overnight.
- Next morning grind them with half a tablespoon of butter.
- Consume the mix two to three times a day.
The antiphlogistic property that reduces inflammation helps in speedy recovery from a cough.
- Add two teaspoons of dry chamomile herb in a cup of water for 10 minutes.
- Strain it and add honey for flavor.
- Consume the tea immediately and have it twice or thrice a day.
It is one of the best remedies for its expectorant and antibacterial property. Soak six strands of saffron in a cup of warm water for 10 minutes. Add honey for flavor and consume twice a day.
Some Preventive Tips
- Follow basic hygiene like washing hands before eating and covering the mouth and nose while sneezing.
- Do yoga and exercise daily to strengthen the lungs and improve the breathing process.
- Practice basic breathing exercises for the smooth functioning of the lungs.
- Include all essential minerals and vitamins in the diet for speedy recovery.
- Stay warm and dry to avoid health complications.
- Take long rest for faster recovery.
- Stay away from pollen and dust which may worsen the health.
- Say no to processed foods and have milk, eggs, fresh fruits and ginger tea in the diet.
- Always hydrate yourself by taking enough water and fruit juices which helps in easing the dryness in the throat.