Mouth sores are lesions or ulcers that appear on the floor of the mouth and inside the lips or cheeks. They are harmless but sometimes uncomfortable and painful. It is caused due to deficiencies of vitamin C or B, constipation, acidity and hormonal changes. The primary cause of mouth sores is stomach disorders or constipation. Curing the root cause helps in faster healing of mouth ulcers.
Classification of Mouth Sores
- Herpetiform (Herpes) Ulcers: Formation of ulcer takes place due to Herpes virus and is known as Herpetiform ulcers. They are formed in clusters and look like small pinheads.
- Minor ulcers: They are small 2 to 8 millimeter in diameter and take maximum two weeks to cure.
- Major Sores: They are large and have an irregular border on the skin. It takes many weeks to cure and they leave some scars after they are healed.
Top 15 Effective Home Remedies for Curing Mouth Sores
The healing and anti-microbial properties reduce swelling and irritation. It heals the infected area faster and combats infections. Apply a little honey on the infected area and keep it for some time. Repeat the process after every few hours.
2. Baking Soda
- Prepare a paste with one tablespoon of water and baking soda.
- Apply the paste on the ulcer with the fingers and let it dry for some time.
- Rinse the mouth and gargle. Do it three times a day.
The antibacterial property helps in maintaining oral hygiene and neutralizes the ulcer acids thereby quickening the healing process.
3. Coconut Oil
- Apply a little bit of virgin coconut oil on the area and leave for some time.
- Do it for a few times in the day and also apply it before sleeping.
The antimicrobial components eliminate the fatty acids present in ulcers. Pain and swelling get reduced due to analgesic and anti-inflammatory compounds.
4. Vinegar made from Apple Cider
- Add a half cup of warm water with a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar.
- Swish the solution in the mouth for two minutes and rinse with plain water.
- Repeat the process two times a day and the acid content will remove the bacteria which causes mouth sores.
5. Alum crystals
- Make a fine powder by crushing some alum crystals.
- Take a cotton swab, wet it and put it in powder.
- Place the cotton swab on the mouth sore and hold it for some time.
- Remove the cotton swab and thoroughly rinse the mouth. Do it two times a day.
The antimicrobial properties combat various issues in the digestive system and help in healing the ulcers.
- Mix one tablespoon of salt in a glass of lukewarm water and thoroughly gargle with it.
- Rinse the mouth with plain water for removing the extra saltiness.
- Repeat it few times in the day.
The antiseptic properties present in the salt heal the ulcer quickly and provides a soothing effect.
- By using a Q-tip apply some toothpaste on the ulcer.
- Keep it for few minutes and rinse the mouth.
- Continue the process till the whiteness of the ulcer vanishes.
The antimicrobial property present in the paste clears the infection that causes an ulcer. You may put some aloe vera gel on the sores after some time as the above home remedy stings the affected area.
8. Orange juice
- Consume two glasses of fresh oranges daily.
- Repeat it till the mouth sores disappear.
As orange is rich in vitamin C, it helps to boost the immune system and combats against various infections including mouth sores.
9. Clove oil
- Rinse the mouth with lukewarm water as it will clean the affected area.
- After that take a cotton swab and dip it in clove oil and apply on the affected area.
- Keep it till it gets absorbed by the skin to aid faster healing.
- Repeat the process two to three times a day.
The eugenol content is beneficial for curing various oral problems efficiently and quickly. The healing and antimicrobial properties are a boon for treating mouth sores.
10. Cayenne powder
- Take some cayenne powder and apply a thin layer of it with the help of a Q-tip or fingers on the mouth sores.
- Leave it for some time and thoroughly rinse with plain water. Do it two times a day.
The presence of capsaicin in the cayenne pepper kills all microbes in the ulcers and help to numb the pain.
11. Coconut milk
- Take a glass of coconut milk and gargle with it for some time.
- Rinse the mouth with clean water and repeat it four to five times in the day.
The soothing effect of this milk reduces the pain which helps in faster healing.
- Make a paste by adding two tablespoons of turmeric powder in a tablespoon of water.
- Apply on the mouth sores and keep it for three to four minutes and then rinse thoroughly.
- Do it once in the morning and once in the evening till the sores disappear.
The antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory properties help in faster recovery.
- Take a half garlic clove and gently rub on the affected area for two minutes.
- After half an hour rinse the mouth thoroughly with plain water.
- Repeat it two to three times a day.
Presence of allicin in garlic helps in curing mouth sores.
14. Epsom salt
- Add two tablespoons of Epsom salt in one cup of lukewarm water and mix it thoroughly.
- Gargle for some time and rinse the mouth with plain water.
- Do this two to three times in a day.
Minerals present in this salt have an antibacterial property which treats sores effectively.
15. Cabbage juice
Boil one raw cabbage till the water gets reduced to half. Drink three to four glasses of this infusion on a daily basis. The anti-inflammatory compounds quicken the healing process of the mouth sores.