Suffering from bad breath can create an awkward situation during a job interview or on a date. There are multiple reasons that might be the cause of bad breath and at times it may be an indication of some serious health disorders that you might have been affected with. In this article, we will discuss how to eliminate bad breath with the help of simple home remedies.
Causes of Bad Breath
Halitosis, the medical term for bad breath occurs due to many factors. It is a common myth that bad breath takes place in the mouth and is the primary cause. But there are others triggers of bad breath which are listed below.
- Drinking alcohol
- Having lung infections
- Cavities in the teeth
- Not brushing properly
- Eating garlic and onion
- Food debris in tongue and teeth
- Dry mouth
- Having a low carb diet
- Disease in the gums
- One has gastroesophageal reflux disease
- Taking certain medications like tricyclic antidepressants and anti-allergic medicines
Now let us discuss the home remedies to cure bad breath.
Top 17 Effective Home Remedies for Bad Breath
1. Vinegar made from Apple Cider
The antibacterial property in vinegar helps in restoring the pH balance in the mouth and reduces bad breath. Take two tablespoons of apple cider vinegar in a glass of cold water. Use this solution as a bottle of mouthwash and gargle for four to five minutes followed by rinsing the mouth with plain water. Do this once in the morning and once at night.
2. Activated charcoal
It destroys harmful bacteria and absorbs the impurities in the mouth. It is beneficial for teeth whitening.
- Add half teaspoon activated charcoal in the toothbrush and brush with it.
- Then thoroughly rinse the mouth to remove the charcoal.
- Repeat it twice or thrice a week.
3. Sugar-free gum
Pop a sugar-free gum in the mouth and chew continuously to maintain the proper flow of saliva in the throat and mouth. It helps to eliminate bad breath as the gum contains mint flavors that provide odor-free breath for a long time.
4. Virgin coconut oil
The antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory properties of this oil eliminate the bacteria and keep the mouth fresh.
- Swish one tablespoon of virgin coconut oil in the mouth for ten minutes and spit.
- Rinse the mouth with lukewarm water & do it on a daily basis.
5. Epsom Salt
The antibacterial property of this salt helps to remove the toxins by eliminating the oral bacteria and removing odor from the mouth.
- Mix one teaspoon of Epsom salt in one glass of lukewarm water.
- Gargle with this solution for some time and do it on alternate days.
6. Eucalyptus essential oil
The analgesic, anti-inflammatory, and anti-bacterial properties cure smelling and destroy all types of bacteria.
- Add three drops of eucalyptus oil in one cup of water.
- Gargle for some time and rinse the mouth with plain water regularly.
7. Fennel seeds
The fennel seeds are a part of Indian culinary culture which is an excellent remedy to cure bad breath. It cures all types of infections and freshens the breath. Take one teaspoon of fennel seeds, chew and swallow them. Have it when required.
The antimicrobial property cures various throat and oral infections thereby eliminating the bad odor.
- Extract fresh juice from the ginger root and take one teaspoon of juice and add to lukewarm water.
- After that, thoroughly rinse the mouth.
Do this after every meal for faster recovery.
9. Green Tea
The phytochemicals present in this tea eliminates all types of bacteria that cause bad odor.
- Add one green tea bag in a cup of hot water and steep it for some time.
- Strain the water and add honey to taste.
- Drink two to three cups of green tea on a daily basis early in the morning.
10. Extract of grapefruit seed
The citrus present in the fruit eliminates the bacteria and freshen the mouth. Put two drops of this seed extract on the toothbrush and gently brush. Rinse with clean water and perform it on a daily basis will help to cure quickly.
11. Parsley leaves
The presence of chlorophyll in parsley eliminates the bacteria that causes odor in the throat and mouth. Chew some fresh parsley or add them to the diet on a daily basis.
12. Yogurt & Lime juice
The antibacterial property in lime juice removes the bacteria from the mouth and the good bacteria in yogurt helps in restoring the balance of the natural flora of the oral cavity.
- Mix two tablespoons of plain yogurt in one teaspoon of lime juice.
- Apply the mix on the teeth and keep for five to ten minutes.
- Thoroughly rinse the mouth.
13. Lemon juice & Baking Soda
Baking soda has an antacid property that helps in maintaining the pH level in the mouth and reduces the acidity level. The antibacterial property of lemon along with the antacid property of baking soda makes a deadly combination to get rid of bad breath. Make a paste of half teaspoon lemon juice and one teaspoon of baking soda. Rub the paste gently on the teeth. Keep it inside for two minutes and rinse the mouth with clean water. Do it once every week.
The salt water has an antimicrobial property which helps to neutralize the mouth’s pH. Add one tablespoon table salt in one glass of lukewarm water. Gargle one or two times a day with this solution.
15. Sesame Oil
The oil is an excellent remedy for improving the oral health and thoroughly cleaning the mouth.
- Take three teaspoons of sesame oil and swish in the mouth for some time.
- Spit it and gargle with warm water.
- Do it in the early morning on a daily basis.
16. Tea Tree Oil
The oil is rich in antioxidants which help to eliminate various bacteria. Add two drops of tea tree oil in one glass of tepid water. Gargle with the solution for five minutes. One can also add few drops of tea tree oil in the toothpaste and brush.
It is rich in malic acid, vitamin C and tannic acid which are beneficial for curing diseased gums and bleeding, sensitive teeth and bad breath. Eat raw guava during the daytime and at least 4 times a week. One can also cut into pieces and sprinkle some black pepper and salt for taste.